K-12 Student Art Assessment and Virtual Exhibition Guidelines for Digital Submissions
Entry Fee and Requirements
- Current FAEA members are eligible to submit 1 (one) entry per student.
- There is a $5.00 entry fee per artwork submitted.
- All mediums are accepted.
- Deadline: Submissions must be entered online no later than Tuesday, March 12, 2019.
- Signed Release Forms must be sent to the FAEA office no later than Tuesday, March 19, 2019.
For 2-D Artwork
The camera lens should be parallel to the artwork surface. Do not angle the lens as this distorts the image. Experiment with a variety of lighting to see what works best. Avoid camera flash back or images that are too dark. Fill the frame of the camera with the artwork. Do not allow school red brick to appear in the shot! For 2-D artwork that will fit on a bed of a digital scanner, scan the image at 100%
For 3-D Artwork
Submit two images (different views) of three-dimensional artwork. Do not allow school red brick to appear in the shot. Consider using a black or white background.
Adjusting With Software
FAEA asks that images are only altered in the following ways:
- Orientation: Works should be rotated properly so that a work is not laying on its side when viewing. Re-orientation during adjudication may not be possible, or may distort the dimensions of the image.
- Cropping: Crop background other than the artwork.
- Color Adjustment: Only to adjust for lighting during photography and not to enhance the artwork itself.
JPG should be captured by a 2+ megapixel camera. Set camera for "fine" or "extra fine" resolution, not "web" or "normal." For photographs, participants may scan the print at 100% 300 dpi and save as a JPG file.
- Image Quality: Should be at 300dpi
- File Size: Each JPG file should be at least one megabyte but no greater than 10 megabytes.
- File Extension: Files must be named with the ".jpg" file extension.
All submissions are now entered on-line. You can pay instantly with a credit card or print an invoice to mail along with a check.
- Login using the Member Login button, then click "K12 Student Exhibit"
- Confirm that your contact info is correct at the top
- Fill out the form for your first student's entry
- Click the "Browse" or "Select File" button to select the student's artwork image from your computer.
- Click the "Submit" button. It may take a few minutes to upload, depending on file size and your internet speed
- It will display a confirmation page that shows the artwork you have submitted.
- Click the "Add Another" button to add your next student's artwork, or click "Finish and Pay" if you are finished
- Confirm the charges, and click the button to either pay online with a credit card or print an invoice to send in with a check.
- Release Forms: After you pay or print an invoice, you will receive an e-mail with a link to your student release forms. They are in PDF format for easy printing, and there is a pre-filled-out page for each student you entered. If you do not receive that e-mail, return to the Entry Page and click the "Release Forms for Works Entered" link.