FAEA Flag Design Winner
Title: Palms Under the Sun
Artist: Linhdan Do
Medium: Ink and Color Pencil
School: South Dade Senior High School
Teacher: Judy Elkins
Youth Art Month is for you!
Florida Art Education Association invites all art educators to participate in YAM activities! Celebrations can be as simple as a single class learning activity that focuses attention to the value of arts; or celebrations can involve collaborations which result in multi-school art exhibits. You can start with one thing that you already are doing successfully and design a way to share the value gained by your students- with parents, with school administrators, with the community, and/or with politicians.
Youth Art Month is celebrated during the month of March, but art successes from any time of the year deserve recognition. Please send a picture, description and or media article about advocacy events and it will be included in Florida's YAM national report. Label your email with the title 'YAM Event' and send it in anytime.
50 Ideas to Celebrate
YAM Proclamation Request Letter and Sample
YAM Endorsement Request Letter and Sample
YAM How to Submit a Press Release
2017 Youth Art Month Flag Design Competition
Get involved in Youth Art Month by submitting a student design for Florida’s Youth Art Month Flag competition. The theme for this year is, “United through Art.” Flag designs should communicate an aspect of Florida’s culture, history and/or geography. The use of the YAM logo is encouraged and the words “United through Art” should also be included.
One student flag design per student can be electronically submitted to FAEA’s website by January 13, 2017. The release forms are due January 20, 2017. Forms, as well as the YAM logo, can be found on the website. The winning design will be exhibited along with other state YAM flags in New York at the NAEA Conference in March.
- Incorporate the big idea: United through Art
- Include Florida somewhere in the design
- Design can be vertical or horizontal, but must fit in the box on the entry form. NOTE: The flags will be displayed in a vertical orientation.
- Creatively use images that represent Florida or art.
- Each FAEA member may submit one design per student.
- Submit digitally on the FAEA website.
- Entries due January 13, 2017
Login to your account on the FAEA Website, then click the 2017 Youth Art Month link to enter!
What is Youth Art Month?
A national arts advocacy program, Youth Art Month was initiated in 1961 by the ACMI (Art and Craft Materials Institute.) The CAE, (Council for Art Education, Inc.) administers the program along with the sponsorship of NAEA.
The goals of Youth Art Month are:
- To recognize art education as a viable factor in the total education curricula that develops citizens of a global society.
- To recognize art is a necessity for the full development of better quality of life for all.
- To direct attention to the value of art education for divergent and critical thinking.
- To expand art programs in schools and stimulate new art programs.
- To encourage commitment to the arts by students, community organizations, and individuals everywhere.
- To provide additional opportunities for individuals of all ages to participate in creative art learning.
- To increase community, business and governmental support for art education.
- To increase community understanding and interest in art and art education through involvement in art exhibits, workshops, and other creative ventures.
- To reflect and demonstrate the goals of the National Art Education Association that work toward the improvement of art education at all levels.