· 3 years teaching experience, preferably in an independent school
· BFA or BA degree required
· MFA or MA degree preferred
· Must be able to teach more than one medium of visual art including painting and digital photography
· Must be able to or willing to be trained to teach Advanced Placement Studio Art
· Must have the ability to curate student work for school events and promotions
· Must be an innovator, invigorator, and visionary in working to develop and maintain Upper School Visual Arts Curriculum
· Must implement a variety of teaching strategies to develop a variety of learning experiences
Essential Functions and Tasks:
· Collaborate and create with a team of fellow professionals for the enhancement of common artistic goals and educational experiences
· Communicate effectively verbally, in writing and in person to foster a collegial relationship with all production coordinators and school personnel involved in events, programs and productions.
· Attend and contribute to departmental meetings.
· Adapt course of study and training methods to meet student's need and ability.
· Help students develop language and skills to visually express themselves.
· Teach a variety of media including painting, digital art, photography, and multimedia art.
· Encourage students to develop concepts of design, style, and aesthetics through the process of creating and discussing art.
· Work with all faculty and teaching artists to develop and project the most positive working environment possible for the betterment of the team and for the students.
· Must have a desire to engage in continual professional growth and to be a member of a dynamic community of learners and artists: Miami Country Day School
Ability to work occasional evenings to help with events, coordinate with faculty/students on promotional materials for exhibitions and lectures.
· Must be able to sit and stand for long periods of time.
· Must be able to bend, stretch and reach as necessary.
· Continue to develop professionally by attending and/or leading conferences or workshops.
· Work in a fast-paced, sometimes stressful environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines and a varied and diverse array of contacts.
· May work long hours for extended periods of time.
· Be able to lift 20 pounds and occasionally lift up to 50 lbs.
· Work in varied and extreme weather conditions, including extreme heat.